Friday, March 11, 2011

Baba Ganoush

I was watching the Food Network's show Everyday Exotic the other day with my bf, and while he was grossed out by the dish being prepared, I immediately started preparing for a trip to the grocery store. What induced these reactions? The sight of a chef scooping roasted eggplant into a food processor to make baba ganoush. I don't usually buy eggplant because I always forget about it's delicious possibilities (sorry baba!) but the show brought it back to my attention, and here I am eating a slice of olive bread with baba ganoush spread on top. Yum! Next time I will add roasted garlic instead of raw, but other than that it's a great spread or dip when I need something to snack on!

I kind of made this up as I went, so everything is by taste and preferences:

Makes 2 cups
Ingredients
  • 1 medium eggplant
  • Olive oil
  •  Tahini
  • 1 clove of garlic
  • salt, pepper, parsley flakes
Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 F. Slice the eggplant in half lengthwise, and put it face down on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper. Roast the eggplant in the middle of the oven for about 45 minutes (should start to have a caramelized syrup oozing out). Remove from the oven and let it cool on the baking sheet.
  2. While the eggplant starts to cool, drizzle 1 part olive oil to 2 parts tahini in a medium bowl*. I like a strong tahini taste, so if you want a more mild flavor adjust the ratio to your liking! Next, throw in the garlic and scoop the eggplant into the bowl. I used 1 clove and it is a verrrry mild garlic flavor. 
  3. Use an immersion blender to puree everything, then add spices to taste. It's yummy just with a slice of bread or paired with a hummus dip and veggie platter, so go wild! I eat it chilled, but it can be served at room temperature, too. 
*Note: You can also throw everything in a food processor instead of using an immersion blender!


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment