Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Stuffed Mushrooms -- 3 ways

I can remember that I went through something like a phase when I was in middle school, where I discovered the glory of sauteed mushrooms. And I was okay with the phase, my food obsessions usually come and go and I know it. But this pesky little food obsession just hasn't died off, and lately it's been full force mushroom time in my kitchen.

For those of you "I pick mushrooms off my pizza, pull them out of my pasta, push them to the side of the plate" people, well, just stop reading because this post is all about mush-to-the-rooms. So sorry, but I can't hide my love from anyone. I just won't do it.

Now, for the good stuff. I love stuffed mushrooms, and when I haven't made them in a while I seem to forget how dang easy they are to assemble. It's the eating part that's messy, which I'm okay with as long as I get to lick my fingers when I'm done.

Keep in mind that I like things a little on the spicy side and so does the bf, so if these are too spicy you can always opt for the plainer versions of things like jalepenos (try bell peppers!) or seasonings (I put cumin on everything mushroom, it takes it to a whole new level of sinful goodness and it's not spicy at all).


Ground Beef and Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms

This recipe is adapted from the bf's aunt, who made these for a dinner party over the summer and I swear that every time I smell ground beef sizzling away I go off into a faraway land in my head and day dream about those delicious stuffed mushrooms I had once upon a time. One day I will get the actual recipe, and we'll see how far off I am on my version.

Ingredients:
  • 1 lb. ground beef
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • 76 cloves chopped garlic
  • Salt/Pepper, to taste
  • Cumin, to taste
  • Finely diced small onion
  •  20-30 mushrooms
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 F.
  2. Put a sautee pan on medium high heat and throw in everything but the cream cheese. Cook until beef has been deeply browned and onions are translucent, about 10-15 minutes.
  3. While the beef is cooking, pop the stems out of the mushrooms and peel the caps. Slice a paper thin part at the bottoms to make them lie flat
  4. Drain the beef and mix it in a medium bowl with the cream cheese. Add salt, pepper, and cumin to taste. 
  5. Scoop small spoonfuls of the mixture into the mushroom caps, not too overflowing but a nice heap inside. Place the mushrooms into a 9x13 butter casserole dish, and bake for 40 minutes. 

Jalepeno and Green Onion Stuffed Mushrooms
I make these when I and craving stuffed mushrooms and don't have many ingredients on hand. I try to keep jarred jalepenos on hand at all times, because they are delicious on pretty much anything savory, and I also keep green onions stocked because those, too, are a delicious and easy flavor.

Ingredients:
  • 1/4 cup chopped picked jalepenos
  • 2 tablespoons sliced green onion
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 8 oz. cream cheese
  • Salt/Pepper/Cumin
  • 20+ mushrooms
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Pop out the stems of the mushrooms and peel the caps. Slice a paper-thin layer off the bottom so they lie flat. 
  2. Mix jalepenos, onion, egg yolk, and cream cheese, then season to taste. 
  3. Spoon the mixture into the mushroom caps -- these can be quite heaping (it isn't a juicy mixture so it will stay together well in the oven!). Place stuffed mushrooms in a buttered 9x13 casserole dish, bake for 40 minutes. 

Bacon and Olive Stuffed Mushrooms
This recipe is my favorite, but also the most time consuming. The best way to make these is in advance -- they can sit in your fridge for 8 hours, letting the flavors marinade while you do what you need to do the rest of the day... then when dinner rolls around you can just pop them into the oven!

Ingredients:
  • 4 strips of bacon
  • 8 oz. black olives
  • 2 tablespoons parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 c. cream cheese
  • 20+ mushrooms
  • Salt and Pepper
Directions:
  1. Place a skillet with the bacon in it on medium-high heat, and cook until bacon is crispy. Drain the bacon and let it cool.
  2. Chop the olives into small pieces, and mix with the parmesan and cream cheese in a small bowl. Chop the bacon into small pieces and add to the cheese mix. 
  3. Pop the stems out of the mushrooms and peel the caps. Slice a paper-thin layer off the bottom so the caps lie flat face-up. 
  4. Spoon the mixture into the caps in heaps. Place the stuffed mushrooms in a buttered casserole dish. You can cover the dish with plastic wrap and store in the fridge for up to 8 hours, or continue.
  5. Bake the mushrooms uncovered for 40 minutes at 400 F.

Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment