Monday, November 19, 2012

Buttered Cabbage

Cabbage is such an interesting ingredient, in my opinion. It is peppery and crunchy raw, yet when you cook it it takes on a creamier, more subtle flavor. Even more exciting is that it takes on the flavor of the sauce you cook it in, so the possibilities are endless. I love cooking cabbage with apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, honey, dill, oh me oh my it's endless!!!  But, sometimes the most simple recipes are the most delicious, and in this case I think that rings very true.


Ingredients:
  • 1 head of green cabbage
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 1/4 cup water
Directions:
  1. Melt butter in a medium sauce pan. Meanwhile, slice up the cabbage to your liking (I like long thin strips, but more chunky portions of leaves are yummy, too!). 
  2. Add the cabbage when the butter is bubbling, stir, then pour in the water. Cook for 30 minutes over medium heat, stirring occasionally.  The cabbage will become more translucent and the water should cook off.
  3. Add in salt and pepper to taste (I like 1 teaspoon salt and a dash of pepper). Serve hot with sausage, pork, ham, or peppered steaks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment