Sunday, October 20, 2013

Cornish Game Hens with Roasted Carrots and Potatoes

I can't tell you the number of times I've walked past the frozen Cornish game hens at the grocery store and thought, Ooh! Oh. Uh. Never mind. I don't know how to make them. Next time.
So recently when I started to go through the same inner dialogue I cut myself off and said, Yes please, and plopped two hens in my shopping cart. Don't worry, I didn't say that out loud all by myself, I just thought it. Anyway, I'm so glad I finally tried them because they were so juicy and extremely easy to make, and it was a fun meal to have. We actually were so caught up in the meal that I forgot to take a picture of them presented on our plates which looked much prettier than this one!


Ingredients:
  • 2 Cornish game hens, fresh or fully thawed overnight in fridge
  • 2 sprigs of fresh rosemary
  • 1 lemon
  • Salt and Pepper
  • 6 large carrots, peeled
  • 1 lb red baby potatoes
Directions:
  1. Preheat oven to 450 F. 
  2. Slice the lemon in half and place a half in the cavity of each game hen. 
  3. Pull the leaves off the rosemary stalks,  and gently tuck the rosemary underneath the skin on the breast of the birds. Season the hens generously with salt and pepper and place breast-up in a greased baking pan lined with foil.
  4. Bake the hens for 15 minutes. Meanwhile, chop the carrots into 3" long pieces, and place in a greased baking dish. Slice the baby potatoes in half and add to the carrots. Drizzle with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. 
  5. Reduce the oven temperature to 375 F and add the carrot and potato pan to the oven. Bake the hens and vegetables for an additional 50-60 minutes, or until the Cornish game hen juices run clear. 
  6. Let the hens rest for 10 minutes before serving: place a hen on each dinner plate along with the carrots and potatoes. The meat should easily fall off the bone, but be sure to provide each diner with a sharp knife to assist with carving. Helpful tip: I like to provide a bowl for discarded bones and the lemon halves on the table.
Note: I know that many roasted bird recipes call for the wings and legs to be trussed to ensure even cooking, but I have never had an issue with an untrussed roasted bird. To each their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment