Saturday, January 11, 2014

Homemade Granola


Granola is a very humble treat, but that's part of the beauty of this unassuming snack. It's like oatmeal cookies, not very glamorous but oh so tasty.  Plus, when you make your own granola you know what you put in it. I am not a big fan of super sweet granola and I also prefer a less-sticky granola, so by making my own I can make it exactly how I want. Also, it's a great on-the-go breakfast or snack that I can carry around. When I first make a batch I portion it out into a few small and medium containers so that I have it ready to go later on. AND just be to even more wild I add dark chocolate chips to my granola so it's just as lovely on its own as it is on top of yogurt, mixed with berries, stirred with milk... you get the picture!

Ingredients:
  • 2 tablespoons honey
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons hot water
  • 1 tablespoon canola oil
  • 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup slivered almonds
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1/2 cup cranberries*
  • 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips (optional)
Directions
  1.  Preheat the oven to 325 F. 
  2. Mix the honey, brown sugar, water, vanilla, and oil in a large bowl. Mix in the oats and almonds until coated. 
  3. Spread the oat mixture over a large rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, stirring every 7-10 minutes. Bake until granola is golden.
  4. Let granola cool on baking sheet, approximately 20 minutes. Pour granola into large bowl, mix in the cranberries and chocolate chips. Store in an airtight container. This granola will keep in the fridge indefinitely.
You can swap the cranberries for any other dried fruit such as blueberries, raisins, pineapple, mango, or goji berries. Remember, this is your granola, make it how you want!

1 comment:

  1. Really good idea to pack in small containers after finished. Sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete