Sunday, January 25, 2015

Nutty Granola

I took some time away from posting recipes over the holidays in order to focus my attention on friends and family, which left me without anything new to post this month -- until now! I like to have some variation of oats for breakfast each day, and this is one that has made repeat appearances for some time. I like to make my own granola so I can control what goes into it and even more specifically the ratio of ingredients, and this granola is all about the nuts. Yes, all about nuts.



Ingredients:

  • 1 cup rolled oats
  • 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
  • 1 tablespoon raw honey
  • 1/2 tablespoon brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup mixed nuts, roughly chopped (almonds, cashews, hazelnuts - any nuts you want!)

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 325 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. 
  2. Mix all ingredients except the nuts in a bowl, then spread evenly on the prepared baking sheet. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until oats are lightly golden, stirring halfway through. 
  3. Let the granola mix cool for 10 minutes on the sheet, then transfer to a bowl and mix in the nuts. Once granola is completely cool package it up into jars or portioned tupperware. 


You can eat the granola as is, or with a splash of milk (I'm partial to almond milk). You can add in berries or dried fruit, sprinkle in chia seeds with the milk, make it your own. 



No comments:

Post a Comment