Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Chewy, Soft, Yummy Brownies.

If I didn't like vegetables and cheese so much, I think I could survive on brownies, cupcakes and coffee for the rest of my life. Such satisfying treats that I am always in the mood for, but unfortunately not always in the mood to create.

I have a go-to recipe for brownies (Alton Brown's Cocoa Brownies), which call for more cocoa than flour so basically they are amazing. I love that they are more cake-like in their texture than a fudge-style brownie, and they don't get tough after a few days or anything. They are little squares of perfection.

Of course, I'm telling you all of this and my point is that I tried a new recipe, and I really like it. It won't replace my favorite brownies (didn't you hear me? I love Alton's brownies!) but they are the perfect substitute when I only have 2 eggs and need to bake something yummy for my generous hosts (I'm going away for the weekend!). Plus, not everyone prefers cakey brownies like I do.

I found this recipe on All Recipes, and since it had over 100 positive reviews I decided to give it a go. My roommate declared that our place smells like a chocolate factory now and that I need to take all of the brownies with me on my trip otherwise she'd eat all of them, and I can't blame her. Their smell matches the flavor: pure chocolate-y delight.

Chewy Cocoa Brownies (modified from this recipe)

Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar
  • 3/4 cup melted butter (I used Olive Oil "butter")
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tablespoon vanilla (homemade with vanilla beans and rum, and that's what it tastes like)
  • 1 1/3 cup flour
  • 3/4 cup cocoa (heaping)
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
Directions:
  1.  Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 13x9 baking pan, and flour it. I used cocoa powder to flour it - it prevents the finished product from having that weird looking layer of whiteness (flour) on it. 
  2. I don't believe in separating dry/wet ingredients for cookies or brownies, so just throw all the ingredients except butterscotch chips in a bowl and mix as you add each thing in. Fold in the chips at the last minute so you don't pulverize them with your overeager mixing. 
  3. Pour into the prepared pan, and bake for about 20 minutes. Check with a toothpick (Insert, check: Clean? good to go. Dirty? put 'em back in the oven) to make sure the brownies are done before letting them cool completely. And I mean completely. Like, an hour. Then tip the brownies onto a cutting board and slice into squares. Store them in an airtight container for who knows how long. They shouldn't last more than two days if anyone else smells your yummy kitchen.
Verdict: I like them enough to save the recipe on my computer and give them as a hostess gift, but I am still a die-hard cakey brownie fan.
EXTRA: I left for 4 days and when I returned, the brownies were still as fresh as ever in a sealed container in the fridge. They get a few bonus points for that. 

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment