Friday, May 27, 2011

Mini Blackberry Pies

Blackberries were on sale at the grocery store down the street, and after a few days of regret because I passed them up, I scurried back to the store and bought 3 pints. And before I could eve begin to heat the pan I had eaten 1 of the pints... I must say that berries are quite a delight.

Anywho, it was the BF's mom's birthday this week and I wanted to whip up something snack-ish for her, and also something dessert-y. So when I was looking for puff pastry I came across mini pie shells and all my dreams came true! I know, I know. Homemade pastry is great. If it works. And lately I've been botching my pastry dough so I figured store-bought was the best thing for everyone.

These little treats are not too sweet - I didn't add any sugar because my blackberries were especially ripe and juicy, but if yours are on the tart side add sugar as needed. But trust me -- not much is needed. Especially when you top a little pie with a lot of ice cream. Just an idea...

Here goes!

Ingredients:
  • 4 cups blackberries
  • 2 tablespoons flour
  • 2 tablespoons butter (I used olive oil butter)
  • Pinch of cinnamon
  • 12 mini tart/pie shells
  • 1 egg
Directions:
  1. Beat the egg in a small bowl and brush over the unbaked pie shells. Place the shells on a baking sheet and bake according to package instructions. Once they are done baking, let them cool to room temperature.
  2. While the shells begin baking, put a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add the blackberries, butter, and flour once the pan is hot and stir to dissolve any lumps of flour. Stir constantly as it comes to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium low. Let this cook for 10-15 minutes, then remove from the heat. The consistency should be thick and lumpy, so don't worry if some blackberries disintegrate and others stay large and in charge. 
  3. Mix the cinnamon into the blackberries and pour the berries into the pie shells. Let the filling cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, then transfer to a covered platter in the fridge. These will last 4 days refrigerated!
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment