Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Restaurant Praise

Over the last couple of weeks I have had the pleasure of eating at a variety of restaurants in the pacific northwest...  And I ate some really, really good food. This is not a post of recipes, but a post of praise!
Try not to be too jealous as I describe some of the dishes I devoured!

Fries with Poutin and Cheese Curds, Whistler, BC
All I really can say is french fries + gravy + cheese = magic!

Volcano Sushi Roll and Mussels in a White Wine Garlic Sauce, Victoria, BC
I ate at Nautical Nellie's for the first time (and certainly not the last!) last week. I had the most amazing sushi roll there - it was topped in a mayo sauce and had loads of tobiko piled on top... one thing I haven't talked about on here is my love for sushi, and more specifically, my love for tobiko. It's borderline inappropriate. So after eating that I thought, how could anything I ever eat be as delicious? Well, I quickly learned that it would be about 2 minutes before I was back in heaven. They delivered a huge bowl of mussels in the most delicious white wine and garlic sauce I have ever had, and I have packed away a lot of mussels in my day. AND when I thought things couldn't get any better, I realized that I was given 4 huge slices of garlic bread to soak up all those delicious juices when I was done with my mussels... And not just any garlic bread, this was GARLIC BREAD with fireworks coming out and a religious moment. I could go on and on about how delicious their mussels are, or you can just use your noggin and imagine the glory that it is.

Buffalo Burger with Goat Cheese and Walnuts, Victoria, BC
The day after my glorious run-in with seafood, I ate at the Sticky Wicket Pub with some family and it, too was divine. I ordered the most delicious burger, not to mention buffalo burger, ever. The meat was all crumbly and moist, not overwhelmingly thick and at the same time not a piddly amount. And the goat cheese with walnuts... oh my... so yummy on a burger! I don't think I would have ever put goat cheese and walnuts on a burger, so I am very grateful for this eye-opening experience. hehehe. and so is my tummy!

Winter Squash Soup with Chorizo, Victoria, BC
I went to Maude's with the BF and his friends and their lunch special was $6 for a sandwich and the soup of the day... I was a little hesitant at first, but I just had to know what chorizo in a squash soup would taste like!!! And it was amazing. Like, a. ma. zing. The chorizo was not chunky, but crumbled up so it made it onto every spoonful and trust me, I ate all the spoonfuls of soup that they gave me. From now on squash soup is no longer going to be my vegetarian staple, because it will be served with sausage.

No comments:

Post a Comment