Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Italian Sausage and Ricotta Ravioli

I know I start every post with how much I love some type of food, and in case you haven't noticed, I happen to love pretty much ALL food... But really, I have no limit to the amount of sausage I could eat. Yeah yeah, you can giggle. But I'm being serious when I say I love summer, polish, italian, beer, brats, maple, breakfast, chorizo, bangers, smoked, farmer's... sausage.

Personally, I think pasta is at its best when paired with a spicy grilled Italian sausage, so when I was trying to decide what to fill my ravioli with I remembered that I had a stockpile of sausage in the freezer. I also had a tub of ricotta, so I set out to make sausage and ricotta stuffed ravioli.

Now, I learned through trial and error that while the ravioli can withstand 3 minutes in boiling water like most Google searches recommended, they are best at 45 seconds of boiling time... trust me.

This provides enough food for 3 regular portions, or like we did, 2 huge portions (food baby anyone?)

Ingredients:
  • 1 spicy Italian sausage
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 1/4 onion
  • 2 cups ricotta
  • Wonton wrappers
  • Water bowl for sealing
  • Sauce of your choice (recommend: marinara or a spicy alfredo)
Directions:
  1. Put a large skillet over medium heat. Split the sausage and discard the skin, breaking the sausage up in the skillet. 
  2. Roughly chop the onion and garlic and add to the sausage. Cook for 10-15 minutes, until the sausage is browned and the onions are translucent. 
  3. Transfer the sausage mix into a medium bowl and add the ricotta. Using an immersion blender, blend the mixture so that the sausage has been broken down into fine pieces. You may add salt/pepper or other seasonings at this time. This can also be done in a food processor!
  4. Drop a teaspoon of the mixture in the center of a wonton wrapper, then  dip your finger into the water and run along the edges of the wrapper. Fold one corner to the opposite to form a triangle - make sure to pinch the edges to completely seal the ravioli. 
  5. Place the ravioli on a baking sheet, and repeat until filling runs out. If you need more space to set the ravioli, just place a sheet of plastic wrap on top of the prepared ravioli and start a new layer. 
  6. You can bring water to boil as you get to the end of this process, or you can cover the filled ravioli with plastic wrap and store in the freezer until you're ready. 
  7. Cook the ravioli in batches, 45 seconds for "fresh" ravioli, or 90 seconds for frozen. Toss gently with the sauce of your choice and serve immediately.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment