Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Barbeque Chicken Sandwiches

I really really really love all things barbeque sauced. Yes, bbq SAUCED. I usually go straight for a bbq pizza, but since I was in the mood for a sandwich I made a barbeque chicken sandwich! That's my brain working. No big deal.

I like lots of flavors in my sandwiches, unlike the BF who just likes ham, cheese, and butter on his bread... Tonight I'm a free woman and I've loaded this sammy with all the goods. Of course, you can get even more wild by adding jalepenos or hot sauce, or you can go the other direction and skip the veggies altogether for an unadulterated bbq chicken sandwich.

Also - you may notice that I didn't slather the bread with anything like mayo, and I also didn't add cheese... I find that the bbq sauce is plenty saucy for this sammy, and the creamy avocado more than satisfies any cheese cravings you may have.

This makes enough for 2 little sandwiches or one semi-big one.

Ingredients:
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken thighs 
  • Salt/Pepper/Olive oil for cooking
  • 4 slices of tomato
  • 1/2 avocado, sliced
  • 1 small onion
  • sandwich bread
  • bbq sauce
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400. Brush the chicken thighs with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the thighs on a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes.
  2. Meanwhile, heat a small skillet to medium-high heat. Slice the onion into thin rings and  add to the hot skillet with a splash of olive oil. Flip after 1 minute, and cook for additional minute. You just want to sear the onions! Put the onions in a small bowl with 2-3 tablespoons of bbq sauce (or whatever amount you feel comfortable with).
  3. Once the chicken is done (when pierced with a knife the juice should run clear!), chop the chicken into cubes. Put into the bowl with the onions and bbq sauce and toss to coat.
  4. Assemble the sandwiches by piling the chicken and onions and topping the bbq mixture with tomato and avocado slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment