Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Lazy Chilaquiles

I have this constant need for Mexican food in my life, and it was quite the shock when I moved to Canada's pacific northwest and discovered that Mexican up here is what Chinatown is to Boulder, Colorado. It doesn't exist.

I love love love all types of Mexican dishes, from microwaved quesadillas to chilaquiles.Last weekend I schlepped my Mexican goodies (courtesy of my sister, who sends care packages filled with green chiles and cumin to keep me sane up here) over to the bf's house and we had a fiesta.
I was originally going to make authentic chilaquiles, where you fry up corn tortillas for fresh chips and you top the dish with poached eggs... but I couldn't bring myself to fry anything in someone's own kitchen, so we threw it in a casserole dish and baked it instead. You can always add the poached eggs on top, but we decided to skip it!

Serves 4-6


Ingredients:
  • 1 bag corn tortilla chips
  • 1 small can enchilada sauce
  • 4 wholegreen chiles, canned
  • 1 cup cheese (cheddar, etc.)
  • 4 cloves of garlic
  • 1 jar green salsa
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 F and grease a medium-large casserole dish.
  2. Chop the garlic and green chiles. Add to a large skillet over medium heat. Once you can smell the garlic cooking, add the green salsa and let it cook over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes.
  3. Add the chips a few handfuls at a time to the pan and toss to coat with the green sauce, working quickly. Once coated, place them in the prepared casserole dish. You should have roughly three batches of chips to fill a medium-large casserole.
  4. Top the coated chips with one layer of fresh chips, then pour the enchilada sauce evenly over the chips. Top with the cheese, and bake for 15-25 minutes until the cheese is bubbly and golden. 
  5. Serve with your favorite Mexican sides, such a refried beans, corn, sour cream, salsa, and guacamole.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment